The Council of State University of Zanzibar seeks to recruit Deputy Vice-Chancellors (Academic, Research and Consultancy and Planning, Finance and Administration) from suitably qualified individuals with excellent credentials. The Deputy Vice-Chancellors shall work under the directives of the Vice-Chancellor of the University.
Qualifications and Experience:
The candidate should possess the following quali cations and experience.
• Be a holder of Ph.D degree from a recognised higher learning institution.
• Have at least seven (7) years working experience in higher learning institutions, of which at least two (2) years in
• Have a capacity to promote learning and extension in a competitive environment.
• Have ability and leadership skills to effectively co-ordinate academic and administrative functions.
• Be an accomplished scholar with proven track record in formulating and managing academic and administrative
programmes and supervising and mentoring postgraduate students.
• Proven capacity to promote learning, teaching, research and development in higher learning institutions.
• Knowledge of national laws and policies specifically in education and public service laws.
• Be of high ethical standards, integrity and professionalism and adhere to national Constitution on leadership and
The Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic and Administration) shall serve the office for a term of three (3) years and may be re-appointed for another term of three (3) years subject to the Council recommendations and approval of the Chancellor on evidence of excellent performance.
According to the State University of Zanzibar salary scales.
Duties and Responsibilities for Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic, Research and Consultancy:
The Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic Affairs) shall be the head of the Academic Division and will oversee all academic matters of the University.
As a principal assistant to the Vice-Chancellor on academic matters, the successful applicant shall be involved in:
i. Be responsible to the Vice Chancellor in respect of such matters of academic, research and consultancy.
ii. Facilitate learning (through teaching) of academic programmes in the University.
iii. Be responsible for smooth running and development of academic in the University.
iv. Advise on all matters pertaining to academics management, quality, control and assurance.
v. Evaluate current progress of academics in the University and recommending future programmes.
vi. Recommend appropriate budgets for academic Schools, Institutes and Directorates of the University.
vii. Oversee research and consultancy activities at University Schools, Institutes and Directorates.
viii. Coordinate the development and establishment of academic programmes and management of academic resources.
ix. Maintain collaboration and linkages with both local and international institutions of higher learning for academics, research and innovation programmes.
x. Overseeing the administration of students’ welfare services.
xi. Perform any other related duties as may be assigned by the Vice Chancellor.
Mode of Application:
• Applicants should submit six (6) copies of an up -to -date and detailed curriculum vitae (detailing academic
qualifications, awards/scholarship/funding membership to professional associations and linkages), copies of
relevant certificates, e-mail addresses and telephone contacts.
• They should also provide names, e-mail, telephone numbers and contact addresses of three referees and request
the referees to forward their confidential reports to the undersigned directly.
• Six (6) copies of the application and referees confidential report on the applicants suitability for the post should
be sent via registered mail or courier in an envelope marked “Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic, Research and
Consultancy)” or “Deputy Vice -Chancellor (Planning, Finance and Administration)” and reference number on left
hand side of the envelope.
• All applications should be addressed to the Vice Chancellor, State University of Zanzibar, P. O. Box 146,
Zanzibar-Tanzania and should be sent to the undersigned to be received on or before 20th August, 2018.
Our Contact Addresses
The State University of Zanzibar (SUZA)
P.O. Box I46