Job Vacancies at The Aga Khan Foundation – Tanzania, January 2019
Reports to : MERL Manager
Location : Mtwara
The Aga Khan Foundation – Tanzania is looking for a top-quality professional with unquestionable integrity to take on the role of Monitoring and Evaluation Officer for Elimu Bora project based in Mtwara, Southern Tanzania. The M&E Officer will be responsible for all project Monitoring and Evaluations activities for the Kilwa component under a close supervision of the MERL Manager or M&E Coordinator. Activities include designing result measurement frameworks, M&E Plans, data collection tools, data flow plans and supervise all processes leading to collection, analysis and presentation of high-quality data for reporting and decision making.
Who we are
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) is a private, non-denominational, international development agency promoting creative and effective solutions to problems that impede social and economic development in selected areas of Africa and Asia. AKF Tanzania is part of the AKF East Africa regional structure that implements programmes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. In Tanzania, AKF is managing a robust and expanding portfolio of multi-sectorial initiatives that includes programmes in economic inclusion, food security and agriculture, education, early childhood development, health, and civil society strengthening.
For nearly 50 years, the Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) has been partnering with communities, governments and local leaders to harness the best from people from all backgrounds to improve the quality of life. The Foundation’s work is rooted in core values of self-reliance, pluralism, and respect for human dignity. AKF is a member of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), one of the world’s leading poverty solutions networks. The AKDN’s integrated approach makes long-term investments, builds permanent institutions and cultivates an active civil society, impacting tens of millions of people annually in 30 countries. Alongside its sister AKDN agencies, the Foundation implements innovative, community-driven solutions that are based in decades of experience, learning and evaluation.
Elimu Bora Project
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) and Madrasa Early Childhood Programme – Zanzibar (MECP-Z) are implementing a Comic Relief funded four-year project called Elimu Bora, targeting key points of the education ecosystem to create sustainable change – professional development, community & parent participation, leadership & management, teaching & learning environment, and education structures & systems in Unguja, Pemba and Kilwa district.
The aim of the project is to deliver a pre-primary education programme to children living in the most disadvantaged and most marginalized geographies of Tanzania and, in so doing, adapt a proven MECP model to a challenging environment. Elimu Bora project aims to increase access to pre-primary education, increase quality of pre-primary education, improve capacity of education officials and staff to deliver quality outcome and increase active engagement of parents and communities in the targeted areas of Tanzania.
Specific responsibilities include:
- With the support of the MERL Manager, develop monitoring and evaluation systems and tools for monitoring project activities (process), outputs and outcomes based on agreed indicators.
- Develop and manage project’s M&E plans in coordination with project staff, both in the project office and in the field.
- Supervise all M&E related field activities including baseline and end line surveys, performance monitoring and data quality supportive supervision.
- Monitor project progress towards achieving results and advise on programmatic adjustments.
- Build capacity of project teams on M&E-related issues and provide guidance and technical support in all matters pertaining to data collection, quality assurance, analysis and presentation.
- Compile and maintain project databases to inform progress toward outcomes for AKF internal use and donor reports. Maintain regular data backups, security and confidentiality at all times in accordance to AKF and Donor requirements
- Upload data into AKF Global Education Management Information Systems (GEMIS), Global Reach System (GRS) and other systems on regular basis as may be required by AKF.
- Review all project reports to ensure that information on indicators is accurate, relevant and well presented.
- Facilitate and coordinate project progress review to ensure availability and better utilization of data for decision-making during management and project review meetings.
- Document, synthesize and share lessons learnt and best practices through case stories and learning pieces in light of progress made in addressing persistent challenges to enhance learning and replication.
- Commit to improving expertise knowledge and skills in his area of specialization and be willing to offer technical support in building the capacity of other M&E staff.
- Actively participate in a broad range of M&E functions as part of the CRSPT MERL team and as may be directed from time to time by the M&E Coordinator or MERL Manager.
- Perform other functions as may be required from time to time by the MERL Manager
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required
- At least a bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Education, Sociology, Public Health or any other relevant discipline
- A minimum of three years professional experience as M&E Officer for a donor funded project, particularly in education or health related programmes in rural areas in Tanzania.
- Knowledge of and ability to design Result Measurement Frameworks, M&E Plans, Data Collection Tools, Sampling Methods and Quantitative/Qualitative Data Analysis is required.
- Excellent computer skills, with professional working experience with analysis packages such as Excel, SPSS, Stata, Nvivo, Fladoop, etc
- Experience in managing databases and online/digital data collection systems such as ODK and Kobo Collect will be an added advantage.
- Excellent communication skills in English and Swahili language, Strong team player and problem-solving skills.
How to apply
Candidates interested in this career opportunity should submit a cover letter explaining why they are best suited for this particular position, CV (not exceeding 4 pages) and the names and contact information of three professional referees by 08th February 2019, to the Country Director-Aga Khan Foundation, Tanzania, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
APPLY TO: email@example.com. | Qualified Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.